ORLANDO, Fla. (Aug. 2, 2012) – Golf Channel recorded the most-watched July in the network’s 17-year history according to data released today by The Nielsen Company, extending its consecutive streak of “best ever” months to six in 2012.
Golf Channel’s July delivery was up 36 percent over July 2011, averaging 95,000 viewers per any minute over a 24-hour period. Based upon six consecutive quarters of growth since becoming part of the NBC Sports Group, Golf Channel is television’s fastest-growing network among those servicing more than 80 million homes.
“Maintaining the record-setting growth of the past six quarters is a testament to the company’s commitment to high quality programming and production, and a result of the exciting golf being played by some of the game’s bright new stars,” said Golf Channel President Mike McCarley.
Golf Channel kicked off the year with its most-watched quarter ever, which was followed by its most-watched second quarter ever. The second quarter averaged 115,000 viewers per any minute over a 24-hour period and topped the past two years by 29 percent and 34 percent, respectively. Through July, average viewers per minute (113,000) are up 24 percent over the same period last year (91,000) and an impressive 47 percent over 2010 (77,000).
CONSECUTIVE BESTS: Eight of the nine months dating back to November 2011 – and the last consecutive six months – have set a “most-watched” record for that month.
|Month||% Increase vs. 2011||vs. 2010|
|February – Most-Watched Ever||19%||70%|
|March – Most-Watched Ever||28%||105%|
|April – Most-Watched Ever||14%||34%|
|May – Most-Watched Ever
June – Most-Watched Ever
July – Most-Watched Ever
TOURNAMENTS & ORIGINALS REMAIN STRONG: Viewership of the world’s top tournaments on Golf Channel continues to outpace last year, with PGA TOUR up 24 percent, and the LPGA Tour and European Tour both up six percent through July.
· Nearly 40 hours of news coverage spurred best Open Championship week since 2009.
· Final round of the Constellation Senior Players Championship garners most-watched Champions Tour round of the year (629,000 average viewers).
· Big Break and Feherty wrap seasons, contributing to Monday primetime lift of 34 percent over July 2011.
WEB & MOBILE SET RECORDS:Content on GolfChannel.com and GolfChannel.com’s mobile application continues to improve and attract new users, making July a record month for Golf Channel Mobile.
· GolfChannel.com page views were up 87 percent and unique users a best-ever 115 percent increase over July 2011.
· Page views for the Golf Channel mobile app were up 159 percent versus July 2011 – making July 2012 the best month ever – and unique users were the highest for any month since the app re-launched in October 2011.